Video about my trip!

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Volunteering in Miami

For those of you who know me, you may remember I have spent the past two summers in Miami, FL interning with an organization called Touching Miami with Love in the Overtown area.  Specifically I have staffed the summer camp they provide to underserved children in the community of Overtown.  I've had the same age group of kids both of the past two summers, and the kids stay mostly the same from year to year - growing up in the program.  Obviously this summer I will not be able to work in Miami for camp because of my internship in Africa.  But it is hard to stay away from my kids for too long!  This past week I went down and volunteered for the whole first week of camp, leading my usual group of now 5th-6th graders, as their staff person was actually out of town.  I loved every second of it!  My kids are such a handful, but in the best way.  So glad I got to go down and see them before I fly out!

Random side note:  Governor Rick Scott did a press release at Touching Miami with Love while I was down there to speak about a bill to fund anti-human-trafficking efforts.  I got to meet him, but more importantly he got to find out a lot about all the great work TML is doing in its community!  Pretty cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment