Video about my trip!

Thursday, June 26, 2014

From the O.R. Tambo International Airport!

I have arrived in South Africa!  I got onto my 7:33 PM ET time flight yesterday in Atlanta, Georgia and I arrived today in Johannesburg at 5:00 PM Local Time (6 hours ahead).  The flight was just over 14 hours in total.  Everything went very smoothly!  It was a Boeing 777 and I was economy class.  Bonus points~ I was by the window, a man was by the aisle, and there was NO ONE IN BETWEEN. Those 14 hours could have been a lot more miserable with the third person!  Thanks again, to Shelby Ellis and her incredible parents for not only allowing me to use their standby flight, but also for constantly strategizing with me to make sure I got on the right flight!  Love you guys!!

On the plane, I sat a seat away [not necessarily next to! :) ] a man by the name of Charles Eisenhower.  He was a grandfather, and electrical engineer, and currently works for the state department of the US inspecting the physical security of Embassies all over the world!  He was on his way to Jburg to connect to Swaziland, where he will actually be meeting up with his brother to work on his next project.  We had some great conversation, and he had incredible insight for my travels, as he has seen much of the world in his work.  It turns out that 8 generations back, he has a common ancestor to the 34th President of the United States, Dwight D Eisenhower.  I meant to thank him for our Interstate Highway System...

I was able to move my next flight from Saturday @ 10AM to tomorrow @ 8:30AM local time.  This way I only have to spend one night in Jburg.  I can check in my check bag at 4 AM, so I'll probably hang around until then, check my bag, go through security to the gate, and then try to take a nap before my flight.  It's about 8 PM as I write this.  More later!

Side note:  the O.R. Tambo is possibly the darkest place ever. Makes me feel REAL safe.  PSYCH.

No comments:

Post a Comment